Tuesday, March 16, 2010

2ND ANNUAL KIANG FAMILY VACATION!!!!!!!

We're like the Griswolds except not as hilarious and more drunk! And we're going to Athens and Santorini for ten days!

But yes, it's that time of year again. Family vacation time!

Pretty soon after Mom died, all of us knew that we would no longer really be a cohesive family. We were living in three different places, and when you lose the glue that binds you together (well at least the glue that binds Cindy and I to our father), there is much less incentive to gather at holiday time. This last Christmas, Dad didn't come home, and while Tim and I spent pre-holiday time with Cindy and Kory, I spent Christmas with the Liles in New York. We're not stupid, the Kiangs, although we are silly, and we knew that the only way to motivate us to gather at least once a year was a family vacation.

It's sad that a death was the only thing that jarred us into spending more time as a family, but sometimes, that's just how life is. You never realize how important things are until something comes along and challenges it.

Last year, we invaded London & Barcelona. Our stay in London coincided with the protests / riots against the G8. We bonded as a family over lots of jamon and a shared terrifying hooker fight in the streets.

This year, our visit to Athens coincides with the um.. collapse of the Greek economy. I hope we can bond over olives, spit roasted meats, and liquor. And, Timmy is coming!

Next year, if you have any suggestions for a country you would like ruined in some way, feel free to make a suggestion.

ALSO! Feel free to make suggestions as to what to do in Athens and Santorini (I'm asking you, the Greekest people I know, Mr M William Panek and White Michelle)

So goodbye forever, jerks. Have fun in America.

Just kidding. I'll be back. And I don't think you guys are jerks. You are all wonderful, lovely people.

3 comments:

  1. I hear that a cool thing to do in Athens is throw a discus. Also, really good salads. Greek ones, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for you guys! I've never been to Santorini, but my grandparents rave about it being the most beautiful island ever, etc. I guess if I had any Athens vacation tips, they would be:

    - Go to the Acropolis, the Temple of Hephaestus, and the Theatre of Dionysus (although that last one might not be too exciting for non-theatre people)
    - Also the National Archaeological Museum. The Mask of Agamemnon is there, and it's BADASS.
    - Skip the Athens Theatre Museum. I doubt you were planning on going there, but just in case you were...don't. It's a snooooooooze unless you're really into 19th- and 20th-century Greek theatre.
    - Eat EVERYTHING. But note: they don't light saganaki on fire over there. (This was a big disappointment for me.)
    - See if you can eat dinner on a taverna rooftop. We did this one night, and the view of the Acropolis in the setting sun was SOOO PERRRFECT.
    - Explore the Plaka. Lots of overpriced, tacky shit, but some cool stuff too.
    -Take a walk through National Garden, it's beautiful!
    - There are many adorable/sad-looking stray cats and dogs running around. If you are me, you will want to hug them, and feed them, etc. Try not to do this, because they are dirty and will never stop following you and it will break your heart x 100000.

    That's all I got!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAIT! How did I miss my name the first time I read this!?!?

    I hope you did everything White Michelle suggested. Athens is SUCH a beautiful city. I suggest(ed) wandering up the Acropolis later in the evening, maybe with a tiny group, and walk past all the small mountain-inlayed homes. The smells and sounds of the families having dinner and living their lives is such a refreshing experience.

    ReplyDelete