Friday, June 26, 2009

June Gloom

I felt really good all yesterday and then when I came home, I fell asleep reading Infinite Jest and when I woke up, I felt awful again. Damn you fake swine flu. It's the kind of sickness that never allows you to fully catch your breath and just makes me audibly sigh all day long. Maybe I would have been doing that anyways.

I think this extended spell of cloudy days has ushered me into seasonal affective disorder. Paired with unexpected deaths, the DPC, and other goings on has made me very ruminative. Um, sorry.

Last Sunday was what was supposed to be my mother's 61st birthday. Well, I guess it still was. I think when you first start dealing with death, you convince yourself that you're going to get over it. You know, like thats a natural part of healing. That's why the first year someone is gone is such a big deal. Its for you to start "Getting Over It" and "Heal." I think maybe thats why the second year has been so hard for me, because I started realizing that I would never Get Over It, really. Not saying I don't think I'll heal, but you know what I mean. I don't know, maybe it's a realization that there's just going to be a space in the rest of my life with every accomplishment, every happy moment, every holiday, every anything. That's okay though. Maybe that's nice. Maybe that's the last real way she can be there in my life.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO that got heavy. I've been too contemplative recently. Why can't the sun come out and stay out and change my brain chemicals?

I think today we should all hug someone we love for a long time. Yay.

3 comments:

  1. Mich-DPC here...

    1) Glad we didnt hang out last Sunday. Between your mom's b-day and Fathers Day, we would have been outrageous messes.

    2)I've come to believe that "getting over it" is something non-DPC-ers use, and that "healing" is just falling back into the schedule of life. Sometimes its ok. Sometimes there are triggers. And occasionally, you just need time to grieve. Ten years later, it's still new to me.

    3) My S.A.D. is in high gear. I just had to close my car window because it's raining. Again. June Gloom is really working me over in a way that I hate.

    4) It is FRIDAY so there is SOMETHING to be excited about...no Vista for two days??

    Mental hugs,

    NiCoolio

    ReplyDelete
  2. the sun here is making me downright dizzy, i feel like i OD'd. Oded?

    ReplyDelete