Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A normal day in the gauche life

  • 7:30 alarm on iphone goes off. For those curious, it is the "Bell Tower" ring
  • Without looking or picking up the phone, poke at screen until the snooze button is deployed and those infernal bells stop ringing
  • Nine minutes elapse; alarm goes off again
  • Repeat previous two steps until satisfied (note: this will range from 45 minutes to an hour)
  • Note background headache. Take three ibuprofin.
  • Shower in scalding water, stare at the tile, and wonder if I can come up with an excuse to miss work.
  • Stand in the kitchen and wonder if I can come up with an excuse for breakfast
  • Stand in front of my closet and wonder if I can come up with an excuse for an outfit
  • Leave apartment without breakfast, but with outfit.
  • Listen to "This American Life" podcast while going to work
  • Make sure to stand in sunlight at the T station
  • Get to work. Stare dully at the computer.
  • Read work email. Mostly comprised of emails from Netflix. 
  • Drink a gigantic mug of tea
  • Stare dully at the computer
  • Stare longingly out the window
  • Compulsively go through Google Reader. She is a demanding mistress.
  • Also visit Twitter, Tumblr, and facebook. Compulsively recheck several times an hour.
  • Email volunteers re: your schedule, teachers re: their needs, and businesses re: volunteering days . Wait several days for their replies.
  • Get cornered by my boss, listen to him talk about things we already talked about."I'm just thinking out loud here..."
  • Recheck Google Reader/Twitter/Tumblr/FB.
  • Look through vague acquaintances' FB pictures. 
  • Wonder why girls are obsessed with how thin their arms look and why they feel free to comment on that openly. 
  • Wonder if I could be construed as an internet stalker
  • Subscribe to more RSS feeds/Twitters/Tumblrs because dear God, I need to be amused
  • Eat Robin Eggs/Gummi bears/candy I found in my desk until I feel sick. 
  • Tumble at my own discretion. Today: James Franco. 
  • Note background headache. Take three ibuprofin.
  • Force myself to go outside to get food. Continue listening to "This American Life." Alternately think: oh it's so warm, god I hate Chinatown, why won't you walk faster, fuck it's still cold, and why is Ira Glass's voice so irritating / soothing.
  • Check Gmail, because I have been waiting for this moment all day!
  • Disappointment: out of 25 emails, 17 are from JCrew telling me there is 20% off of Final Sale LAST DAY!! and the rest are trying to trick me into spending money. Delete all of them. How dare you expose my inadequacies, Gmail??!?
  • Idly Gchat
  • Recheck Google Reader/Twitter/Tumblr/FB.
  • Drink another gigantic mug of tea
  • Think to myself, "Self, you should update your blog"
  • Open Blogger dashboard. Think to self, "if this is called blogger, why is the web address on blogspot?"
  • Create several new posts, each one with a different rambling topic. Deleted or archive all of them, because they are idiotic.
  • Post something meaningful yet meaningless on blog
  • Recheck Google Reader/Twit/Tumblr/FB.
  • Repeat until escape
  • Continue listening to "This American Life."
  • Get home. Check mail. Change into PJs. Eat bowl of pasta
  • Lie down. Take three hour nap
  • Note background headache. Take three ibuprofin.
  • Watch basic cable while wrapped in 4 blankets, even though it is warmish outside
  • Give up on basic cable (can't understand Telemundo and hate Everybody Loves Raymond), read in bed for two hours.
  • Note background headache. Go to bed at 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment